Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Luck Dragons


We've been writing about the Blue Jays a lot lately. This is a trend that Liz and I are working on fixing.

That said, tonight we went to the Jays/Rays game and saw something that you could have 1000 guesses at and never get right.

1. Who got the hit in the 11th inning with 1 out to break an 0-14 streak?
A. Juan Rivera
2. Who was the pinch runner?
A. Chris Woodward
3. Who hit the walk-off home run in the 11th inning?
A. John Mc'freakin'Donald.

Yeah, this week I wrote a post waxing poetic about the lack of an ability to make a decision in the 9th against Mariano Rivera. With Aaron Hill hurt, McDonald was the only option and he executed a safety squeeze bunt to tie the game. A beloved Blue Jay, by all accounts a fantastic human being, and a true "gamer" according to twitter...I wasn't a fan of the move. More specifically, I called into question the 9 man bullpen leaving no options on the bench.

Sitting with Liz, who has defended JMac after my post, and Dr. J and Genna (two of our most favourite commenters) they all took the opportunity to mock me when the ball went out of the yard. It didn't help that I had just decreed that "the numbers tell the story...and the pinch runner will be neutralized by the impending pop out to 3rd". The very next pitch made a liar out of me.

I'll probably gloat publicly when I'm right...so this time I'll admit that the luck dragons were on the right side of the diamond tonight. The Baseball Gods are a fickle bunch of cynical jerks though - so I worry for the debut of Brandon "Why So Serious" Morrow tomorrow afternoon.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment