Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Announcers

As a Jays fan, I tend to watch games using the away team feed.  I could voice complaints about Toronto's broadcasters (and many times I do so on twitter), but rather I like to become a "tourist" of other broadcast teams.

During last week's series vs. Kansas City I was struck by the comedy that their broadcast teams brings to broadcasts.  They don't seem to take themselves too seriously, and had no issue cracking jokes about R.A. Dickey's well manicured nails or Colby Rasmus' flowing locks.  Maybe it's just the tourist in me, but I can't help but think if Toronto's broadcasters showed the same kind of attitude it would be met with scorn and disdain.

By and large, my favourite broadcast teams stay out of the way.  Kind of like a great beer...it knows it's great, it doesn't need to remind you every time you take a drink.

During the current homestand, Toronto is playing the White Sox.  Buck Martinez or Hawk Harrelson...neither is great.  But the late night games (HOU vs. OAK and SD vs. LAD) are quite good.  It's a reminder that less is more...and talking all the time doesn't make you "SCHTRONGER"

No comments:

Post a Comment