Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rant of the Week - Gear for Big People

Welcome to the first rant on Relay to Home.

For those of you that don't know me...I'm 6'5 and I have size 15 feet. I rarely buy new shoes because they are really hard to find. This becomes even harder when looking for baseball cleats.

This morning I went to Toronto's biggest and best baseball gear store hoping to get myself a pair of cleats as my 10 year old Reebok's are worn out. I was told at this store that manufacturer's don't make cleats any larger than size 13, even though there were several pairs of larger ones on clearance that didn't fit. I asked him how players in the Majors with large feet got cleats...I already knew the answer and just wanted him to admit that it's too expensive to keep shoes in stock that might not get sold.

10 years ago, when I bought my Reebok's it took my mother and I four days of shopping to find a pair that fit. We found them at National Sports...in the clearance bin.

In the last decade I've noticed a lot of things...but in this case, I've noticed that there are quite a few athletes that are my size. I have friends that are my height, with my shoe size. I also know from going to school in the US that there are a lot of people that play baseball...and they are all over 6'3.

My point being - Is it so friggin' hard to keep a pair of size 15's in the stock room. They could be 7 years old, bright pink and $200...if they fit, I'll probably buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment